MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > UAW on strike against GM.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: UAW on strike against GM.  (Read 9553 times)

sue lee

• Hero Talker
Re: UAW on strike against GM.
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 08:22:07 PM »

Most of you sound jealous of union jobs, you have no right. You were spoon fed by the republican party that unions are no good, and you fell for it. Now there is no job security, unless you can get it in a contract. A company expects loyalty, why? Foreign companies are loyal to their employees, that is why they don't need unions. They believe in jobs for life.
This is the state of our country now that unions have lost power. Low paying jobs that can fire you on a whim, health care benefits that are worthless, no pensions, no vacations, and Corporations and CEOs are wealthy beyond belief. The people who are still unionized are also villainized, and people cry out for their dismissal. You rob yourself blind for what. Because a politician tells you a union is a bad thing.
The best mannered people make the most absurd lovers.

Boylanjl

• Hero Talker
  • xxx
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 08:43:38 PM »

Well said Sue Lee

Johnson35

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 09:12:37 PM »

I would recommend all the people spewing the anti-union rhetoric to read the following books by Lou Dobbs.

"Exporting America" and "War on the Middle Class"  They are available at your local library.  They are far more illuminating of labors current circumstance than any short statements I could make.

Hang in there UAW!
"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love, you make"

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 10:57:36 PM »

Don't you think your family deserves more economic security and better pay for your hard work?

Through collective bargaining, unions have helped raise the standard of living for millions of American workers. There is a distinct economic advantage in belonging to a union and working under a union contract:

Union representation means that you are more likely to be able to retire with security and dignity. Overall, 90% of full-time union workers participate in at least one retirement plan, compared to only 74% of non-represented workers. Union workers are far more likely to participate in traditional defined benefit plans – 86% for union members versus only 50% for non-union workers. Such plans are almost always financed entirely by the employer, and your retirement benefits are guaranteed by the federal government.

Unions have pioneered the provision of health care as an employee benefit. Virtually all union contracts provide health care coverage, often paid for entirely by the employer.
Sadly, there are nearly 40 million Americans who have no health insurance. Most of these are children of employed workers, including those workers who serve our food in restaurants and take care of us in hospitals.

Among union workers, 52% have family medical coverage that is wholly paid by the employer. In non-union work places, only 18% have such coverage. Similarly, with dental care, union members have a significant advantage. In union work sites, 49% of workers have family dental coverage that is financed wholly by the employer. Among non-union workers, only 19% have employer paid dental coverage.

Sickness and accident benefits provide needed income to working families in the event of non-work related sickness and injury. Among union workers, 71% have sickness and accident insurance; in non-union work sites only 36% receive economic security during times of illness and injury.

Work can be hazardous to your health. Far too many American workers are killed, injured and exposed to diseases on the job. Working under a union contract can improve your ability to monitor your work environment and ensure that health and safety concerns are addressed.

Belonging to a union gives you rights under federal law that you don't have as an individual. Union representation provides you with the tools you need to deal with your employer from a position of strength. Belonging to a union allows you to establish a written agreement that specifies the terms of your employment. Once you have formed a union, your employer is required by law to bargain with you over your wages, hours and working conditions.

Without union representation, which opens the door to the power of collective bargaining, an individual worker has no voice in his or her employment and is subject to arbitrary decisions made by the employer. With union representation, you have a voice in your future.

In a time of high unemployment and uncertain economic conditions, the right to retain your job is critical to you and your family. It is important to know that you can't be fired without just cause or laid off to make room for the boss' favorite nephew.

Most union contracts establish strict rules about job security and the conditions under which layoffs or reductions in the work force take place. This makes sure that everyone is treated fairly, and that no one is discriminated against for speaking their mind on the job or enforcing the terms of the contract.

Without the protection of a union contract, you are at the mercy of the employer. You have the ability to change that; you have the power (and the LEGAL right) if you act collectively.

The news said that 10% of the cost of a car is labor
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 11:08:29 PM »

Wow frenchfry, I am totally impressed :D
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

sue lee

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 12:06:38 AM »

Just Ted,
get over it. That is so old. Besides *** kissing has kept a lot of worthless people employed also. You don't need a union to do that. Unions have raised wages for everyone. Their history is something to be proud of. They have fought against child labor, fought for paid overtime, 40 hour work weeks. They are needed more then ever in this environment.

sue lee

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 12:38:07 AM »

And....? what is wrong with making good money? Do you have a problem with that? Isn't that what it is all about? work hard, your company rewards you. No, they just reward themself? The CEO's make more then a third world nations entire worth, and we should enjoy struggle, worry about job security. Oh, I forget, that is the American dream 2007. Buy a home, Can't sell it, lose your job, can't pay for it, lose your home, oh well. At least someone is making money.
I don't understand what you people are all about, it is almost like you want to punish yourself. Does the GOP have you that brainwashed? Collective bargaining is a good thing, there is power in numbers. United we stand.
The American public has sat by in a stupor while our jobs have moved overseas. We are too apathetic to fight it, but blame the unions. Hell, there are not enough union members left to have that kind of power, and the jobs are still leaving. Wake up

chuntley

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 02:42:38 AM »

Work in a auto factory is hard and repetitive. It breaks your body down. It was said that these people get paid $30.00 an hour to put a screw in a car. Try assembling about 10 screws, 2 to 5 parts, and get back to the start of your 20' station, all within 45 seconds. Now repeat this for 540 times within a 8 to 10 hour day. Only to go home and do it all over the next day, and the next for 30 years. And by the way, the guy on the line does not make $30.00 an hour take home.

I know quite a few people that have degrees and earn less than the auto workers, but they work 45 hours a week (40 hours plus 1 hour of comp. time). Their bodies are not under the stress that the factory workers body has to endure.

So if you have a degree, be glad you use your mind, not your body.   

Normal Joe

• Hero Talker
  • Yep..it's true. I'm Normal...
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 08:26:46 AM »

It is never good to bite the hand that feeds you ;D
If all the leaves on all the trees could talk....

Farmer.Ted

• Hero Talker
  • I will try to be good. For a minute!
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 10:13:16 AM »

Thanks another great opinion. NOT!  Maybe you should just be tossed off your job if you have one.

If I am not mistaken nobody was tossed, they chose to WALK off the job.

Get a life. 

Nice!  real nice!  Spoken like a true union member.. That sounds like some true republican blind faith to me.  Go ahead, drink the kool-aid, it's good.

Farmer.Ted

• Hero Talker
  • I will try to be good. For a minute!
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 10:28:39 AM »

Just Ted,
get over it. That is so old.

I don't believe that Just Ted posted here, so I assume you mean me, even though I don't understand a word u said.

Forget this, lets just talk about God

sue lee

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2007, 12:04:41 PM »

Just Ted did post, he deleted his posts for some reason. Better keep your eyes on that one! :o

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2007, 12:45:26 PM »

Just Ted did post, he deleted his posts for some reason. Better keep your eyes on that one! :o

Not picking on Just Ted (or anyone in particular), but...

when a poster decides to remove a post, should there be an empty post left behind saying "post removed, dated and timed (much like it does if you go back and edit a post)....

I have run into this before where I go back looking for a post that another poster is referencing....   poof, nothing there....   start to wonder if I'm going crazy or is the memory fading faster than I thought :D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 12:53:22 PM by BigRedDog »
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

lulu

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2007, 12:54:01 PM »

Why is it a problem that the foreign companies don't have unions? They seem to be doing well without them.

The companies are privately owned, they can pay what they want.

The only one that can sell out the workers are the unions themselves.

They both have a common enemy and it is right here among us all. A weak and devalued fiat currency. Higher wages doesn't mean squat when your purchasing power and savings value is being constantly undermined by pumping more worthless currency into circulation.

If you take a million dollars away from ten executives and you're losing a billion dollars a day, you've only put a band-aid on the situation for one day.

Why don't the UAW make an offer to buy GM's auto production? If union labor has been builing the cars for so long maybe they should just step up and show them how to do it. Give us all an opportunity to by a UAW car, not a Ford or Chevy. I'd like to see what kind of names they would come up with for their products.
Don't buy into the class envy advocates. There is a larger problem lurking for everyone.

http://www.forbes.com/business/feeds/afx/2005/08/31/afx2200420.html
The truth is not simply what you think it is; it is also the circumstances in which it is said, and to whom, why and how it is said.
Vaclav Havel (1936 - )

SMASH

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2007, 12:56:41 PM »

Sue lee, what has the Democrat party done for the unions? Other than bilk them out of hundreds of MILLIONS of dollars!!

They gave how many millions to our pal Bill and he gave them NAFTA, what a deal?

You go on and on about the Parties, one in particular, and claim to be independant? You said yourself both parties are virtually interchangeable, why the non-stop attack on the Republicans?

Hell Dingell even wants to jack up the CAFE standards, another knife in the auto industry back.

Where does all your hate come from, for one Party?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up